Monday, January 5, 2009

Our New Dining Room Table

We have been wanting a new table pretty much since we bought our glass table in Tucson.
After we got it home we really didn't care for it. It's not that it's a bad table, we just quickly realized it wasn't our style. And it was a pain to clean. We used it a lot in Tucson, but once we got to Chandler we used it for special occasions. Actually the only time I remember using it was when we had a double date with some friends. Other than that it's held our Christmas tree and I've done sewing projects on it. When we were getting ready to move into the house I was on Craigslist every morning looking for the table that Dusty and I were always talking about getting. This was the table we wanted for the family. Enough chairs for all us plus if the kids had friends over. I found our dream table many, many times at very good prices. I was just never quite fast enough and they were always sold before I could call. I never gave up even when the economy dropped and the prices started climbing I was always hoping I'd find that perfect table. Well, I decided with the last of our Christmas money I would try again. I spent 4 days on craigslist checking post every 30-60 minutes hoping to be the first to catch a good deal. In those 4 days I found 5 tables, one that wasn't our dream table but that was more in our budget and 3 that were our dream table minus the bench (which we could buy later) and one that had the bench. The catch was it was above what we wanted to spend. So we sat down and discussed it. If we got one of the three that did not have a been we would have to go out and eventually buy one which would put us well above the budget on the table or we could buy the one with the bench down and just be slightly over our budget. So it was decided we'd get the more expensive one and never worry about the table again. Now the hard part. Was I in time to get this table. I wasn't receiving phone calls or emails for any of the tables. Right about 11 pm Saturday night I had given up hope. I even went downstairs and said I don't know how Brandi can get good deals on there. I never can. I sat on the couch pouting while playing my DS, but once I was bored with that I was back upstairs checking my e-mail. I had to messages about two different tables. One of those was for the table that we really wanted! I wrote down phone numbers so I could make calls first thing in the morning and went to bed happy.
First thing Sunday morning as I was going to make my phone calls I received a call on a table. It was the cheapest one and I decided to go take a peak at it. Not what we were looking for...ever! So I called the one that didn't have the bench and told him I would pass, still slightly worried something would happen. Next I called about that dream table and set up a time to go see it. Dusty, Niran and I packed ourselves in McKay's truck and began our trip across town to look at it. I got us lost, I misunderstood directions, but when we got there Dusty and I fell in love with what we saw. It was exactly what we wanted in every way. We looked it over to check the condition and then quickly settled the transaction. We loaded the it in the back of the truck and giggled like school girls all the way home. While I made dinner Dusty set up the table. It was beautiful in every way. This is the table we're going to have for a long time. The only way we see ourselves getting a new one is if Niran puts a chainsaw to it. Of course that would never happen because he's going to be a perfect little boy :o) Niran enjoys the table as well. We can't wait for all those family meals!
Now that we have gotten past that big purchase we have more to take care of from most important to least:
1. Wedding - Yes, I'm ready to start planning the wedding. To get it rolling I'm going to the bridal show this weekend with the future sis-in-law
2. Highchair for Niran - okay this doesn't count because my mom gave us check to get purchase one, we just have to go down and purchase it.
3. Niran's bedroom items: Bedding, mobile, lamp, etc. I want it before he outgrows his room.
4. New cell phone - My cell phone is trying dye again. Last time when it started acting up it took a month to be completely nonfunctional. Once it completely dies I'll need a brand new one so I'm trying to look at my options now. It would be nice to get Dusty a decent phone as well since is the cheapest I could find at the time. Once that one is dead as well we won't have a warranty to cover a new one.
5. Vacuum cleaner - our's is terrible and leaves a funky smell, but it does the job until we can afford a good one.
6. Laptop - My laptop that I use specifically for school died about a year ago. It was nice to have to take to school and would be handy for days Niran wants someone sitting next to him and when I need to get stuff done.
7. Stainless steel cookware - this is what Dusty wants in his kitchen.
8. Bedroom furniture - We'll get this when we have a house of our own so we can make sure it fits.
9. Couches - again we'll wait until we're in our own house.
Granted 7, 8, and 9 are after we move into our own home we actually don't have a whole lot to get through

1 comment:

Mars said...

glad you found your dream table! I love it! And I love Nirans little hood with ears. So cute :)Let me know if you need help with any wedding plans! I love doing that stuff!