Yes, you read that correctly! Our not-so-little boy started preschool today!
His doctor and speech therapist have really encouraged us to put him in. We drug our feet due to the costs, but finally gave in once we had the money. We were told the soonest he could get in would be next school year, if space allowed. That's very hit or miss on a military installation since people move around very frequently. I was very hopeful that he could start the school year since Spring and Summer are peak seasons for PCS (permanent change of station) moves. Last Tuesday I received a phone call from Child Youth Services (CYS) saying they had openings. Yay! But not that simple. They only had so many slots available for each class and they were calling more people than they had availability for. It was a first come first serve situation. We had just walked in the door and we're putting groceries away and instead of relaxing and kicking off our shoes and putting our coats away I packed us back in the car and headed down to get the slot we wanted. The whole time I was thinking this was for the next school year and thankful he got in. We got there, they did all that fun computer stuff & then asked if he could start tomorrow. Tomorrow?!?! I had to put it off for an extra day due to speech therapy, but he did get to start right away.
First Day!
I'll give him that the sun was in his eyes, but this is a normal smile for him.
The first day was a little wild and sad for me. I was supposed to do new parent orientation before he started, but it was never said to me. They also didn't even have him on any of the paperwork or in the system. They had to dig up our account to even see he was supposed to start. I thought for a second I would have to break his heart and leave. Thankfully they sorted it all out and I was able to do a little orientation before and after school.
Niran loved...no scratch that, LOVES preschool. When I pick him up he immediately comes up to me and says what he did. Colored, puzzles, played outside, rode a bike, played with a ball, danced, played in a kitchen, read a book, ate a snack, who knows what else he said that I didn't understand. They warned me it was normal for the child to cry after a couple of days. I don't think that will happen with Niran. Three days now he has just disappeared after washing his hands. He throws the paper towel in the trash and sits down to start playing. He won't even say bye, he just says what he's doing and I say good-bye then leave. Tell him he's going to preschool is the only I can even get him out of bed in the morning. He's never been more willing to eat breakfast either! Calvin really wants to play as well, but he has a couple of years still ahead of him.
His first day. This child was not going to be upset I was leaving him.
Dusty and I like to go out to eat to celebrate major events in our lives, so that is just what we did. After his first day I took him to Red Robin for a celebration lunch. He loves Red Robin, balloons & tv just make his day. He hasn't been willing to take a nap, he just nicely asks to watch tv or a movie. Which I am fine with as long as he is quiet while Calvin is napping.
He got a milkshake, chicken on a stick and french fries. A little taste of Heaven for him.
This one slept most of the time and woke up in time to finish Bubby's lunch.
He had homework his first day. Make a community helper (ie. police officer, fighter fighter, etc). He insisted on a cowboy, Woody from Toy Story to be exact. He wasn't interested in finishing either, but that is a lot of work for your first night when the rest of the class got the full week.
Second Day. I didn't get many pictures the first day since it was a little wild. Got to love his smiles!

No comments:
Post a Comment