Dusty and I had been worried about Niran's "left looking" since day 1. We've done what we could to help him learn to look right. When we noticed a flat spot developing we asked his pediatrician who referred us to Cranial Technologies. It's a condition called plagiocephaly aka a flat spot of the head. Typically this corrects itself without any treatment, but our concern was Niran's desire to always look left along with doing everything with his left hand, so we went along with treatment to be on the safe side, which includes wearing a DOC Band.
The day we had him fitted for the Band was a bit rough. They put a stalking over his head and take digital images to make a cast of his head. He did not of course like the stalking and screamed and screamed. Of course as soon as it came off he was everyone's best friend again.
A week later we went back to get the Band. Niran let us put it on him and had no problem wearing it from the start. Some kids will have red or pink spots develope while they adjust, but Niran never got one. After reading the forums for Cranial Technologies, I thought the first week was going to be rough with possible one hour drives back for adjustments. Not with Niran, he started wearing it the 23 hours a day with the 1 hour off for cleaning and hygeine.
Dusty and I decided to decorate it so it didn't look so medical like. We were going to have someone paint it for us, but the only person we could find was on the west side of the valley and we'd have to spend the day over there. So we decided to decorate it ourselves. I took the first round of decorations and went with the theme from his bedroom. I used the wallpaper as my inspiration. I think it came out pretty well. We'll take it off in another week or so and let Dusty have his hand at it.
Today, was the first check-up, which happens once a week. His head is already changing shapes and some adjustments were made to accommodate them. Hopefully we won't have to go any longer than the original estimated time of 7-9 weeks.
The giraffe obviously had his perfect spot!
No comments:
Post a Comment